Welcome to my Fibromyalgia life.
Stress is the main trigger for a Fibromyalgia flareup. If I do not pay attention, my stress levels can become elevated enough to cause my neck and upper back muscles to contract (more than they always are) and compress my cervical vertebrae. When this happens nerves are pinched which cause headaches and severer abdominal pain. If I do not take a muscle relaxer soon enough I will be forced to take a trip to pain management for a dry needling session to release my trigger points (which feels amazing!).
Today I caught my stress/pain level at about a 7 and I avoided a full on flareup while preventing the need for dry needling. I did this by vaping THC, a dominate pain stomping cannabinoid in marijuana. With (1) 4 second puff the pain acceleration stopped and within 2 minutes my minor flareup was in control. For the next 8 hours my pain level was down to about a 3.
The amount of time that the medicine lasts depends on my activities of the day (yes, Marijuana has been used as medicine since Ancient Egypt). Normally I only vape THC before going to bed but I drove for 4 hours today and had to wake up early. It seems like any change in routine or new activity can trigger a flare for me. Welcome to my Fibromyalgia life.
Marijuana (THC) “Facts”.
Quick THC web “facts”
- THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the main psychoactive compound in marijuana that gives the high sensation.
- Marijuana kills brain cells.
- THC is what everyone wants from Marijuana to get high.
Lets get real!
I have been using CBD & THC for 2 years now to control my Fibromyalgia. Alongside working a part time job and running a business 40-50 hours per week. I take care of my parents, my dog and I am in pain 24/7. So here are the responses to the above statements from a Fibromyalgia sufferer.
- Psychoactive Compounds = Caffeine, Alcohol & THC. Psychoactive is defined as a drug is a chemical substance that changes brain function and results in alterations in perception, mood, consciousness, cognition, or behavior. When I first tried Marijuana I did have some psychoactive effects which included mental imagery. Now, I rarely experience anything but pain & tension relief along with some drowsiness. It seems as if people throw around the word Psychoactive to describe pot because it sounds like you will go nuts if you try it. The DEA reports ZERO overdoses from marijuana making it safer than alcohol and caffeine. Both of which can cause death if too much is put into the body. So remember, the next time you are drinking coffee or soda, you are using a psychoactive drug.
- Marijuana does not kill brain cells, in fact (THC) has been found to promote the removal of toxic clumps of amyloid beta protein in the brain, which are thought to kickstart the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
Although, it is believed that Marijuana can stunt brain development in people under the age of 25.
- There are always going to be drunks, addicts and people looking to get a quick fix to feel high. In my situation this is not the case. THC instantly reduces my pain and stops a flareup in it’s tracks. When I vape THC (Indica) I do not feel high. I get a major since of relief and it allows me to sit still and relax.
Why I choose Marijuana to treat my Fibromyalgia.
The quality of my life depends on my choices. I will never be cured of this disease but I can control the pain and live life to the fullest. Marijuana give me the relief that I need and keeps me active. I am able to take less prescription medication throughout the day which leaves me with more energy.
When I need immediate pain relief I can not wait for an hour for a muscle relaxer or OTC pain killer to start working. THC & CBD provides me with instant relief and allows me to adjust how much I need based on my current pain levels.
I highly recommend that other Fibromyalgia sufferers at least consider trying CBD, THC or both and see how they respond to it.